As the year’s largest online sales campaigns wrap up, research from Google and Temasek predict Southeast Asia is well on its way towards becoming a digital powerhouse worth much more than $200 billion USD in eight short years. How did shoppers behave during Single’s Day in light of all the work poured into gaining their trust and promoting online shopping?
From exclusive updates provided by the companies to ecommerceIQ, here is how Google’s recent report correlates with real time results.
Lazada Group Single’s Day and Online Revolution:
- Single’s Day (11.11) generated USD$123 million gross merchandise value (GMV), 171% year-on-year growth
- Shoppers ordered 6.5 million items, 191% year-on-year growth
- 70% of orders were placed from mobile devices
- Sells 12 limited edition Volkswagen Beetles within 20 minutes, each costing RM112,112 (USD$27,441) during Lazada Malaysia Online Revolution (12.12)
- Apple products offered officially on Lazada as the brand’s authorised online reseller, opens shop-in-shop (SiS)
- 600% increase in cross-border product orders, 400% increase in total orders (compared to a regular day)
- Most popular products: GPS, mobile accessories, smartphones, TV sets, theme park tickets
- Traffic to the website doubled, 85% contributed by mobile
Shopee 9.9 Mobile Shopping Day
- 350% increase in orders, 500% increase in traffic
- Most popular products: make up brushes, smart watches, canvas backpacks
- 7 million chats, 30,000 participating sellers
- Highest number of items ordered by one buyer was 218
- Find more here
The results from this year’s mega sales campaigns work well with new predictions by Google & Temasek in their latest e-Conomy SEA Spotlight report:
- Ecommerce sales of first-hand goods will reach $10.9 billion in GMV in 2017, up from $5.5 billion in 2015 (driven by top players like Lazada, Shopee, and Tokopedia)
- Southeast Asia’s internet economy will reach $50 billion in 2017, growing at 27% CAGR
- The region’s internet economy accounts for 2% of Southeast Asia’s GDP, will increase to 6% by 2025
- There will be 330 million monthly active internet users by year end, 90% of which are smartphone users
- Search interest for ecommerce brands growing more than two-fold in two years thanks to promotional activities and marketing investments by leading regional/global ecommerce players and co-marketing initiatives with top brands in electronics, fashion and consumer goods industries.
It’s shaping up to be a good end to 2017 for ecommerce players, investors and shoppers in Southeast Asia. Stay tuned for 2018 ecommerce predictions.
For more charts & graphs related to ecommerce in Southeast Asia, check out our database.