1. Ant Financial and Tencent receives license to operate digital wallets in Hong Kong
This is considered a big and significant step in the two internet giants’ overseas expansion beyond their bases in China. Read the rest of the story here.
2. Amazon launches new platform for car lovers, Vehicles
Vehicles is an extension of Automotive, Amazon’s marketplace for buying actual cars parts like tires or air filters. Similarly, Vehicles is an offshoot of Amazon Garage, which lets you store information about cars you already own. Read the rest of the story here.
3. Google: Indonesia will dominate Southeast Asian ecommerce
The US search giant and Singapore’s tech investment vehicle Temasek presented new, Indonesia-specific material (but not much from the report they released in May). Find the data here.
4. Catcha Group is making big bets in online classifieds
Another Catcha enterprise, Frontier Digital Ventures (FDV), is quietly making moves. Most recently, it raised an oversubscribed $23 million round on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX). Read the rest of the story here.
5. WhatsApp to share its user data with parent company, Facebook
6. Uber is making a big leap towards autonomous vehicles
In addition to its headline-grabbing tie-up with Volvo to develop a new base for driverless cars, Uber has also bought the technology start-up Otto. Read the rest of the story here.
7. Snapdeal is losing its place in India’s ecommerce landscape
Once the second biggest after Flipkart in India’s ecommerce race, it lost that place to Amazon gradually, and is now broadly considered a distant third in the running. Read the rest of the story here.